Thursday, 29 Feb, 2024

National

3 Bangladeshis killed in Malaysia building collapse

News Desk | banglanews24.com
Update: 2023-11-29 11:30:30
3 Bangladeshis killed in Malaysia building collapse

Three Bangladeshi workers were killed and several others seriously injured after an under construction building in Malaysia's Penang collapsed last night.

Rescuers are still searching for four missing workers believed to be pinned under the rubble where a building under construction had collapsed at about 9.45pm on Nov 28.

Penang deputy police chief Mohamed Usuf Jan Mohamad said that so far, rescuers had found five out of the nine workers believed to have been trapped.

“A beam measuring about 12m long and weighing about 14 tonnes had fallen and knocked down 14 other beams in the incident at the site,” said Deputy Commissioner Mohamed Usuf.

“There were 18 workers assigned to the site. None of them had gone out for prayers at the time.

“So far, we have identified three deceased victims – two who had died at the scene and another who died in hospital.

“Two other victims who suffered serious injuries have been sent to Penang Hospital for treatment.”

“We believe there are four more victims still trapped under the collapsed structure.”

He added that all the workers are Bangladeshi nationals.

Workers at the site where the complex under construction collapsed recalled the horrifying sounds of the crash.

Thirty-eight-year-old Bangladeshi national Mohamad Ikhthiar described the crash as “earth-shaking”.

“Structures like large concrete beams in the middle section came down and it was chaotic,” he said.

“Together with other workers, we went to check and were shocked to find that many of the beams had fallen in a stack,” he added.

“There were cries for help but the beams were just too heavy for us to lift without machinery.”

Mr Mohamad, who had just started working at the site about three months ago, said rescuers soon arrived and cordoned off the area.

Penang Fire and Rescue Department deputy director Zulfahmi Sutaji said rescue efforts were difficult because of the weight of the structures involved.

“We need large machinery to remove heavy structures and access the victims,” he said.

“K-9 units have been called to help detect the victims at the site about the size of a basketball court.”

Initial reports by the Fire and Rescue Department said that at least nine workers were trapped under the rubble.

Search and rescue works are ongoing.

It was reported that in March 2022, Titijaya Land and DHL Supply Chain (Malaysia) signed a memorandum of agreement to develop the logistics complex in Bayan Lepas.

It will comprise offices, automatic rack systems, warehouse facilities and various utilities

Source: The Straits Times

BDST: 1130 HRS, NOV 29, 2023
MN


 

All rights reserved. Sale, redistribution or reproduction of information/photos/illustrations/video/audio contents on this website in any form without prior permission from banglanews24.com are strictly prohibited and liable to legal action.