SARAJEVO: Bosnia`s Football Federation (NS/FSBIH) was threatened to be excluded from international competitions as it has failed to adopt statute changes requested by FIFA and UEFA, a statement said on Monday.
Only 27 out of 60 delegates backed the changes aimed at replacing an ethnic-based tripartite presidency by a single president, the statement on NS/FSBIH Internet side said.
A support of two-third majority was needed in order to have the changes adopted.
The presidency`s members represent the country`s three ethnic communities -- Croats, Muslims and Serbs.
FIFA and UEFA had requested the statute changes as their representatives visited the former Yugoslav republic late last month.
UEFA official, Marc Leblanc, was quoted at the federation site as saying at the time that if the changes were not adopted NS/FSBIH could be suspended, meaning the squad and clubs would not be able to take part in international competitions.
Meanwhile, national side coach Safet Susic said he was to quit if FIFA and UEFA exclude Bosnia.
"If FIFA and UEFA suspend us there is no reason to stay as a coach. I will leave the squad," Susic told the Dnevni Avaz daily.
"I feel sorry for the fans since many believed that we never had a better team and that it was the last chance that we do something.
"I feel sorry for the players. Many of them will maybe never have a chance again to play important matches for the squad," said the 55-year-old Susic who took over in late 2009.
Post-war Bosnia consists of two semi independent entities -- the Serb-run Republika Srpska and the Muslim-Croat Federation.
The federation`s organisation, often criticised by football fans and players, reflects the country`s ethnic divisions.
Bosnia missed out on World Cup qualification after losing their play-off to Portugal.
BDST: 2054 HRS, JULY 19, 2010