Wednesday, 30 Nov, 2022

National

Mother-son die after eating puffer fish in Khulna

Staff Correspondent  | banglanews24.com
Update: 2022-09-13 12:53:20
Mother-son die after eating puffer fish in Khulna

A woman and her son died in Batiaghata of Khulna on Monday (Sep 12) evening after eating cooked puffer fish, locally known as potka fish.

The deceased are Pari Begum, 60 and her son Jahangir, 36, of Mathabhanga village of Jalma Union of Batiaghata Upazila.

Police said the poor family caught the fish from the Rupsha River and they consumed it after cooking.  

Later, they fell sick and neighbours took them to Khulna Medical College and Hospital where Pari Begum was announced dead on arrival. 

Jahangir died during treatment at the same hospital. 

Duty doctor Bidhan informed that Jahangir’s cousin Saidul, 35, who also consumed the fish is currently being treated for poisoning at the hospital,

Md Enamul Haque, Officer-in-charge of Labanchora police station, said the family was probably unaware of the toxicity of the fish.

Puffer fish is considered a delicacy. However, it can be fatal because of its toxicity, if not cooked properly.

BDST: 1253 HRS, SEP 13, 2022
MN/SMS
 

All rights reserved. Sale, redistribution or reproduction of information/photos/illustrations/video/audio contents on this website in any form without prior permission from banglanews24.com are strictly prohibited and liable to legal action.