Saturday, 02 Jul, 2022


Ex-NSI DG Wahidul indicted in war crimes case

24 |
Update: 2019-10-16 13:29:23
Ex-NSI DG Wahidul indicted in war crimes case

DHAKA: The International Crimes Tribunal (ICT) Wednesday (Oct 16) framed one charge against former acting director general of the National Security Intelligence (NSI) Mohammad Wahidul Haque for allegedly committing crimes during the Liberation War in 1971.

The three-member tribunal led by Justice Md Shahinur Islam also fixed November 24 to start trial with recording the testimony of the prosecution witnesses.

Oahidul Haque, 69, also former acting director general of National Security Intelligence (NSI), had worked for the Pakistan army and was involved in the killing of 500-600 Bengalis in Rangpur in 1971, according to investigators of the International Crimes Tribunal (ICT).

Earlier on March 4, the ICT accepted the charge brought against him by the prosecution for his alleged involvement in crimes against humanity during the Liberation War in 1971.

Earlier on October 30 in 2018, Investigation agency of ICT claimed to have found evidence against a former additional inspector general of police, over alleged involvement in crimes committed during the Liberation War.

 “He was posted in Rangpur Cantonment when the war broke out, and he fought along with Pakistani army [against Bengalis],” Abdul Hannan Khan, coordinator of the agency, said during a press conference at its Dhanmondi office.

Earlier on April 24 in 2018, Wahidul Haque, also a former acting director general of National Security Intelligence (NSI), was arrested from his Baridhara house in the capital, shortly after the International Crimes Tribunal (ICT)-1 issued warrant against him and later he was sent to jail after getting arrested in war crimes case.

According to the prosecution, the former acting DG of NSI was involved with killings of 500/600 Bengalis and Saontals in Rangpur on March 28, 1971.

“Haque and his associates didn’t stop there. They brutally charged bayonet on the injured and later burnt them to death. Haque left for Pakistan in April 1971 and returned to the country in 1974. He was made Superintendent of Police in 1976.

He was made acting director general of NSI in 1996-97 and later became the DG of passports,” Tureen added.

BDST: 1316 HRS, OCT 16, 2019


All rights reserved. Sale, redistribution or reproduction of information/photos/illustrations/video/audio contents on this website in any form without prior permission from are strictly prohibited and liable to legal action.