Four people died from dengue in recent weeks, bringing the total number of dengue deaths this year to nine, Singapore Ministry of Health and the National Environment Agency (NEA) said in a recent statement.
The four men died between Jun 30 and Jul 16, the authorities said.
The first, a 70-year-old man, who died on Jun 30, lived within a previously active dengue cluster at Hougang Avenue 5. The cluster was closed on Jul 12, with four dengue cases reported.
Three others died on Jul 16, the statement added.
A 77-year-old man who died lived at Eunos Crescent, which is within an active dengue cluster. As of Jul 20, six dengue cases were reported in the cluster.
The number of dengue-related deaths this year is the second-highest since 2012. The highest was in 2016, when 12 people died.
Five people died from dengue earlier this year. In June, an 84-year-old woman, who lived at Lorong 6 Geylang, died from dengue. A 63-year-old man died of the disease in May.
In March, dengue claimed the life of a 71-year-old woman who lived in Ang Mo Kio, while two elderly men died in February.
As of July 20, there have been 8,020 reported dengue cases in Singapore this year, which NEA said is about five times more than in the same period last year.
In July, Singapore saw the highest recorded number of weekly cases since 2016, with 666 cases.
With CNA inputs
BDST: 1749 HRS, SUG 1, 2019