At least 16 Afghan police and two civilians were killed in an attack by Taliban militants in western Badghis province of Afghanistan, officials said on Friday (June 22).
The latest attack follows a three-day ceasefire which was put in place for the Eid al-Fitr celebrations.
The Taliban resumed their fight on Thursday rejecting Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s request to extend their ceasefire past Sunday.
Earlier on Wednesday, Taliban killed at least 30 soldiers and captured a military base in Badghis.
A senior security official in Kabul said the Taliban were fighting to capture eight checkpoints in Badghis. On Thursday, they gained control over two checkpoints and ambushed arriving reinforcements.
Taliban militants also abducted 13 engineers and 20 security guards, an official said. Four security forces were killed when they tried to rescue the hostages, all Afghan nationals.
The Taliban did not immediately comment on the attack.
Ghani extended by 10 days his unilateral ceasefire, initially due to end on Wednesday. The Taliban observed a ceasefire over the three-day holiday but rejected the government’s request to extend it.
Some critics have said Ghani’s ceasefire allowed the Taliban to freely enter government-held areas and plan attacks.
BDST: 1610 HRS, JUNE 22, 2018