DHAKA: A 7-month old boy was killed and his parents were injured as the gas line of their residence in Mirpur of the capital city exploded Monday (April 24).
The couple—Manik Mia, 35, and his wife Mina Akter, 22, were taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH). Their condition is critical, said the physician from the hospital’s burn unit.
Sources said that the child along with his parents sustained severe burn injuries as the gas line on the ground floor of their 5-storey building at Road no-4 in Mirpur-11 exploded at 11:50pm.
The child was taken to a local hospital and later shifted to DMCH where he was pronounced dead by the physician around 1:30am Wednesday (April 25).
Local sources said that Manik works as a caretaker of the residence. The family lives on the ground floor.
Mirpur Fire Service & Civil Defence Senior Station Officer Abdullah Al Faruk told Banglanews that the explosion might have ensued as fire from cigarette came into contact with the leaked gas line.
However, the fire was doused after efforts for a while, he added.
BDST: 0937 HRS, APR 25, 2018