DHAKA: The Canadian government has closed receiving applications for immigration to the country in investment quota for indefinite time.
The country also decided not to accept any new applications in skilled worker quota.
Canadian government fixed the number of applications for investment quota at 700 in the last year. The amount of investment was also fixed 8 lakh dollars.
But, the quota was fulfilled within 30 minutes. Besides, about 25,000 applications are still waiting to be dissolved.
The applicants went to the court as the Canadian immigration authority decided to give back 2, 80, 000 applications in 2008.
The court directed the authority not to return the applications within three months of passing the law. The next hearing is scheduled to be held on September. The applicants have to wait for visas until then.
Canadian Immigration Minister Jason Kenney said that they will receive applications in worker quota from January 2013 after fixing new standard for immigration.
“We will declare the standard for selecting applications in skilled worker quota soon,” he said.
BDST: 1350 HRS, July 5, 2012
Edited by: Shahin Afroz, Newsroom Editor