Health after Retirement
Retirement is a phase where one takes a permanent break from regular work and to enjoy a smooth path to old age. Usually the ones retired end up with lots of leisure time and less stress. But what about their health status?
Most of the abuse inflicted upon one’s self surfaces after retirement. Most of them end up with a lot of health problems or the underlying health problems aggravate. Bypasses, angioplasties, knee replacements are a few examples of the procedures commonly happening during this phase of life. Depression and boredom are a few common psychological inflictions on them. Activity levels dip down and more of a sedentary life creeps in. So how do you battle this?
Any person should adopt a good lifestyle from the younger ages. If one thinks he will be strong and healthy, naturally he starts working towards it. Trust me this works. If you do not want to be called old then a ‘healthy you” will make you look a “younger you”.
* Now if you are already a retiree, you first need to come out of the laziness. Keep a proper time schedule. Eat on time, sleep on time and spend time on fruitful work.
* Do not gain weight. This is very important as attaining an ideal body weight will keep creaky joints away. It can be quite depressing to be dependent on others but you will appreciated if you are independent.
* Exercise regularly. Maintain proper timings for exercise. Go out for a walk or join a gym. Try to accommodate an exercise routine which makes you go out and meet people. You may end up having group of regular walkers or those who have retired before you, will motivate you to stay fit. But do not waste time talking. Concentrate when your exercising and then chat once you have cooled down.
* Take power naps. This will help you to catch up with all the lost sleep while you were working.
* Eat right. Eat less fat and fried food. Avoid sugar and keep a check on the salt intake. Avoid caffeine and alcohol. Eating right can help you to avoid health problems or keep the existing problems in check.
* Take up healthy hobbies like teaching yoga, organizing support groups, reading all about health and nutrition which will keep you well informed.
* Become a motivator to the young. If you are healthy and young, people around you will be motivated too. You will be doing a large favor to your near and dear ones and will well appreciated.
Do not take retirement as a boring phase. Look at it from a positive perspective. You will live happier, healthier and longer.
BDST: 1115 HRS, MAY 30, 2012
Edited by: Sharmina Islam, Editor Lifestyle