DHAKA: The opposition Syrian National Council (SNC) has urged the United Nations (UN) Security Council to act urgently after regime forces ‘massacred’ what it said was more than 110 people in the town of Houla.
The latest flare-up of violence came as Kofi Annan, the UN-Arab League envoy to Syria who brokered a repeatedly violated ceasefire last month, finalised plans to return to Damascus.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said more than 50 civilians, including 13 children, were killed in shelling of Houla, a town in the central province of Homs.
‘It was a real massacre that took place and the UN observers are just staying silent’, the head of the monitoring group, Rami Abdel Rahman, told media.
BDST: 1758 HRS, MAY 26, 2012
Edited by Robab Rosan, Cultural Affairs Editor
All rights reserved. Sale, redistribution or reproduction of information/photos/illustrations/video/audio contents on this website in any form without prior permission from banglanews24.com are strictly prohibited and liable to legal action.