DHAKA: Mobile phone maker Motorola Mobility is to cut 4,000 staff around the world as part of a restructuring programme.
This is the equivalent of 20% of its workforce, reports the BBC.
The firm, bought by Google last year, said it planned to close or merge about one third of its 90 production and research facilities.
US-based Motorola also announced a shift in emphasis away from smartphones to what it described as ‘more innovative and profitable devices’.
Two-thirds of the jobs will go outside of the US, the firm says.
‘Motorola is committed to helping them through this difficult transition and will be providing generous severance packages, as well as outplacement services to help people find new jobs,’ a statement said.
BDST: 1620 HRS, AUG 13, 2012
Edited by Robab Rosan, Cultural Affairs Editor
All rights reserved. Sale, redistribution or reproduction of information/photos/illustrations/video/audio contents on this website in any form without prior permission from banglanews24.com are strictly prohibited and liable to legal action.