DHAKA: Gunmen have attacked a police base in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar, local officials say.
The attackers entered an empty school, from where they started firing at the headquarters of the Afghan National Police.
The police chief is said to be safe, but the fighting is continuing, one official said, reports BBC.
The Kandahar governor’s office said that five people had been reported wounded so far.
Earlier on Monday, three suicide bombers on motorcycles blew themselves up in the Zarang district of Kandahar province.
Two children were killed in those blasts, and six others wounded, according to provincial officials.
The attacks in Kandahar come a day after six troops from Nato-led forces were killed in eastern Logar province.
Kandahar is the spiritual home of the Islamist Taliban movement, which has been leading attacks against Western forces and the Afghan government since it was ousted from power in 2001.
BDST: 1850 HRS, JUL 9, 2012
Edited by Robab Rosan, Cultural Affairs Editor
All rights reserved. Sale, redistribution or reproduction of information/photos/illustrations/video/audio contents on this website in any form without prior permission from banglanews24.com are strictly prohibited and liable to legal action.