DHAKA: Summers are here. Though you would love to go out exercising in the daytime, it is important to remember the potential dangers that come along with exercising in hot conditions...
- Remember to drink plenty of fluids. Since it is extremely hot outside, you must stay hydrated. Stick to non-caffeinated drinks like water or energy drinks.
- Do not starve. It is crucial to eat healthy. Due to the scorching heat, your appetite decreases. Try to eat smaller meals during the entire course of the day.
- Wear light and loose fitting clothes when you are out exercising. Cotton is always a good choice. If your outdoor activity produces a lot of sweat, consider clothing that is designed to wick the sweat away.
- Do not forget to wear sunscreen before you step out.
- Refrain from exercising for a long duration in the mornings. Evenings are preferable.
- Replenish your salt and electrolyte intake while exercising.
- While exercising, choose trails or pathways that are shaded, so you keep out of the sun.
- It is advisable to check the weather forecast before you start with your workout. If there are any warnings of heat advisory (high ozone or air pollution) - prefer to workout indoors. These pollutants are known to damage the lungs.
- Avoid working out in the morning anytime between 10 am to 3 pm. The mornings are usually very hot and could lead to a heatstroke. It is best to work out early in the mornings around 6-7 am and anytime in the evening between 7-9 pm.
BDST: 0927 HRS, July 3, 2012
Edited by: Sharmina Islam, Lifestyle Editor
All rights reserved. Sale, redistribution or reproduction of information/photos/illustrations/video/audio contents on this website in any form without prior permission from banglanews24.com are strictly prohibited and liable to legal action.